Shelby County

Elk Horn

Elk Horn
http://iowagravestones.org/gs_view.php?id=109029 (1)

Location

Elk Horn is located at latitude 41.591 N and longitude -95.059 W and an altitude of 1361 feet (1).

History

Caroline Winters is known for naming Elk Horn for the prominent number of horns. (3) Although unofficially recognized for naming the settlement, she is also considered to be the first post master. (4) She and her husband Theron, lived 2 miles south and ¾ miles west of the current city location. (5)

In 1867 a post office was erected at 2531 500th Street (Gerry and Carrie Greve home) with Lorenzo L. Winters as the first officially recognized postmaster. (6)

Elk Horn is well known for its Danish community. The first Danes moved to Elk Horn in 1875 and in 1878 established the first Danish Folk High School in the United States. (7)

The city was incorporated Nov 2, 1901 as “Lot 10 section 1, township 78, Range 37, Shelby County” (8, 9)

Cemeteries

The Elk Horn Cemetery is located in Shelby County, Clay Township T78 R37 S01.(10)


Notes:

  1. Iowa Gravestone Photo Project. Elk Horn Cemetery. http://iowagravestones.org/gs_view.php?id=109029 (accessed October, 8 2009).
  2. Elk Horn, United States Page. http://www.fallingrain.com/world/US/IA/Elk_Horn.html (accessed October 12, 2009).
  3. Norma Lange Nelson and Wava Petersen. Elk Horn Community History (Audubon, Iowa: Audubon Media Corporation, December 2000), 12.
  4. Ibid, 3.
  5. Ibid, 12.
  6. Ibid, 12.
  7. Barabara Lund-Jones and John W. Nielsen. Embracing Two Worlds: The Thorvald Muller Family of Kimballton(Dana College, Blair, Nebraska: Lur Publications, 1998), 84.
  8. Shelby County Iowa Towns. Organization of Towns. http://www.iagenweb.org/shelby/history/towns.htm (accessed October 8, 2009).
  9. Nelson and Petersen. Elk Horn Community History, 5.
  10. Elk Horn Cemetery. http://iagenweb.org/shelby/cemetery/cemetery.htm (accessed October 2, 2009).

List of community residents forthcoming


Return to Map


Galland's Grove

Manteno Lake
Manteno Lake in Shelby County, Iowa

Location

The location of Galland's Grove was near present-day Manteno, Iowa. It was part of Grove Township. Though Latter-day Saint settlers probably came to the area prior to 1854, the town became a primary settlement of members of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The following were members of the Galland's Grove:

Alexander and Sibyl McCord,
Uriah Roundy,
Washington Roundy,
Hon. Washington Roundy,
John A. and Malinda McIntosh,
John Hawley,
William Van Ausdale,
Alexander and Mary Hunt,
Oliver E. Holcomb,
William McCord,
Eli and Caroline Clothier,

Thomas and Mary Woodcock,
Joel Hall,
Mary Ann Jenkins,
Alexander and Martha Black,
Patrick and Delilah Crandall,
Milton and Elizabeth Lynch,
Chaucy S. Holcomb,
Oliver E. Holcomb,
Lehi and Mattie Clothier,
Jacob and Jane Crandall,
Daniel and Parintha Crandall,

John B. and Mary Hunt,
John B. and Irene Swain,
John P. Hawley,
Alfred and Martha Jackson,
Robert Ford,
George and Mary Greenwood,
Cynthia Perry,
John and Mary Ann Pett,
David C. and Mary Ellen Crandall,
James and Harriet Pearsall

History

"Galland's Grove, about one-half of what became known as Grove Township, was at one time covered by a heavy growth of virgin timber, and named for its first settlers.

"Abel Galland and his son, William were the first to come to the timbered grove from Indiana. They were also the first Latter Day Saints. Abel was a brother of Isaac Galland who befriended the Saints in Lee County, Iowa, became a church member along with his family.

"William W. Galland, after locating in the grove, married Elizabeth Rudd on March 1, 1868. She was born June 9, 1848, at Galland's Grove, the daughter of Frank and Elvira (Chandler) Rudd. Both William and Elizabeth united with the Reorganized Church, and William was ordained an elder November 3, 1870. He was a faithful servant in his priesthood office. The Galland children were Henry W., who married Addie Mae Tripp; Charles F. and Frederick A. (twins who died in infancy); Mary Lornea, who married Samuel Tripp; John Edward, who married Iona Baker; Mabel Lovina, who married George Brundige; and Sylvia, who married Ruben Huff. Later the Galland family lived at Denison, where William died August 21, 1917. Elizabeth passed away April 16, 1924, while living at Dow City.

"Benjamin F. Galland, with his parents, settled in the historic grove that bore the family name. Benjamin was born January 21, 1821, in Daniel County, Indiana. On March 18, 1850, he married Maria L. Allen, who had come to the grove with her parents. Benjamin and Maria became the parents of Mrs. Jerusa A. Nelson, Charles A., Elisa J., Abel W., Abram N., and David. Benjamin died at the age of ninety on February 14, 1911, in Deloit, Iowa. Maria died September 1, 1912. 5 Among the pioneers who followed the Gallands were William Jordan, son-in-law of Abel Galland, who came in 1848 with his family. Other families to settle in nearby groves were those of William Felshaw, Solomon Hancock, Joseph Hancock, Franklin Rudd, Joseph Roberts, Eli Fouts, William VanAusdall, L. G. Tubbs, Uriah Roundy, Albert Crandall, Ethel Brown, Benjamin Homer, O. E. Holcome, David Baughman, John E. West, Lewis Jackson, Wilson Keairns, B. K. Homer, Washington Roundy, William W. Reed, Chauncy Williamson, James M. Butler, John A. McIntosh, Ralph Jenkins, John Hawley, Benjamin Crandall, Robert Ford, Eli Clothier, Thomas Black, Alexander Black, Alexander Black, Joshua Butler, and others. Probably the firstborn boy was Bradley McCord, son of Alexander McCord, on December 27, 1852. These pioneers were the first to break the virgin soil, cut the native trees, and develop Shelby County.

"Alexander and Sibyl McCord, among the first wave of pioneers, were of the early church and had endured the persecutions in Missouri and Illinois; yet their faith in the restored gospel was never shaken. Alexander was born January 10, 1811, in New York City. Sibyl was born February 27, 1817, in Ulster County, New York. They were married November 25, 1834, and became the parents of seven children. For a time they lived in Nauvoo. In 1846 they left Nauvoo with the migration for Utah, and while at Council Bluffs Alexander enlisted in the noted Mormon Battalion of 1847, serving in the company of Captain Hunt. He later wrote that Brigham Young “solemnly promised” to see that his family would be taken care of if he would enlist. After he was mustered out in California , Alexander went to Salt Lake City , where he found that corrupt teachings and practices had been introduced into the church. He immediately separated from the group. With others he crossed the mountains and plains on horseback, between February and April of 1848, to Winter Quarters at Omaha, Nebraska , so as to prevent his wife and children from going on to Utah. He found that the only care the family had received during his absence was a “piece of sole-leather” and none of his pay. The family moved to Galland's Grove where Alexander engaged in extensive farming. By his industry and good management he eventually built a good home for his family. Alexander joined the Reorganized Church in 1859, was ordained an elder in 1860, and to the office of seventy in 1861. In 1863 he accompanied E. C. Briggs on a mission to Utah and, in company with Jonas E. Chatburn and Samuel Wood, went there again in 1869-70, seeking to reclaim the misguided Saints. He also did considerable preaching in various localities throughout Iowa , serving the church faithfully until his death June 15, 1887, at his residence near Harlan in Shelby County. Sibyl died at Defiance, Iowa , November 29, 1900, survived by three of her children.

"Uriah Roundy had been a member of the old church organization and had witnessed the apostasy during the scattering of the Saints. He was one “who kept his armor bright, and ever ready to be used in the cause of truth,” when opportunity presented. In the early days Elder Roundy had been well acquainted with Joseph the Seer and his father's family. Joseph's mother, Lucy, was, he said the best woman he ever knew, “a very charitable woman full of love and cheer for everybody.” Father Smith, the patriarch of the church, he said, “was indeed a loving and good man--and all his boys were conscientious, honorable men.” In some respects he felt that William was an exception, as he wrote: I did not blame him much, for he had seen so much persecution all his days heaped upon his family—it sometimes made him feel desperate, and he had a temper to control, and he made some trouble through his hasty acts. In retrospect, it seems that the old-time Saints carried a great respect for the Smith family, but questioned some of the things William did. Rena Roundy, Uriah's wife, was born near Kingston , Ontario, Canada , August 25, 1810, and early accepted the gospel in New York. She came to Nauvoo with her husband, and thence to western Iowa , where she died November 1, 180, at Galland's Grove. Elder Roundy had preceded his wife in death on October 2, 1869, and at the time of his death he had served the early and Reorganized Church as a missionary for thirty-five years.

"Washington Roundy, early-day church member, also served Shelby County as a state representative and became highly esteemed. He was born September 22, 1825, and lived with his parents in Pike County , Illinois, as a young man. He married Shelda Ayler, who died soon afterward. IN 1841 he married Alvira Williamson, and they came to Shelby County in 1851. They had three sons and eight daughters when Alvira died June 9, 1892. Mr. Roundy then married Mrs. Nancy A. Black December 8, 1895. He died February 15, 1902, at his home in Galland's Grove, survived by his wife and all eleven children." (1)

Roundy Family"HON. WASHINGTON ROUNDY - One of the early pioneers of Galland's Grove, Mr. Roundy was born in New York 1825. When he was 9 years old, he and his parents (and eight other children) came to Ohio , and lived there one year. In the next 13 years they lived in Missouri and Illinois . He was married in 1848 to Alvira Williams in Illinois.

"Mr. And Mr. Roundy were the parents of 11 children; Newton; Sarah, wife of James Adamson; Adda, wife of William Major; Rena, wife of James Fouts; Ellen, wife of David Adamson; Fannie, wife of Freeman Vandemark; John W.; Julia, wife of William Fouts; Polly, wife of William McCole; Mary E. (Minnie) wife of James Fouts; and Albert. In the spring of 1850, Mr. Roundy started on a trip to California . At Council Bluffs due to ill health, he was dissuaded from continuing the trip, and remained in Council Bluffs, then a small village.

"The following spring, he traded one of five yoke of oxen for 160 acres of land in Grove Township. A rude log cabin had been erected on the land. Here Mr. Roundy and family settled, intending to stay a year or two, then go on to California . They were among the first settlers in the Township as only seven other families had located there previous to them. The plan to go to California was abandoned, and they made it their permanent home. They endured all the hardships encountered by pioneers in those early days and did their share in building up the County from a wild and unbroken prairie, inhabited by wolves, deer and elk, to a fine and prosperous community.

"Mr. Roundy possessed nearly 1000 acres of land in Shelby County. He had made valuable improvements and had one of the finest homes in that part of Iowa. He was a staunch Democrat and strongly advocated the issues of the party. In 1887, Mr. Roundy was elected a member of the Iowa Legislature.

"Descendents of Washington Roundy who are living in the Dunlap area are:
Grace Robertson, Woodbine, daughter of Newton; Irma Pryor, granddaughter of Polly; Earl Hack, Vera McCord and Dale Hack (of Logan) grandchildren of Sarah; Vera Evans, granddaughter of Adda; Pauline Wilkins, Nadine Probasco, Fay Fouts, Florence Greenwood, Holly Fouts of Dow City, are grandchildren of Rena. Dean Fouts is the grandson of Julia; Ellen has no descendants left; Golden Thompson and Wave Trimpe are daughters of Fannie; Cecil Roundy in South Dakota is John's only child; Elvie Hartwig, a daughter of Minnie; Bert's wife and daughter are still living in South Dakota. Charles Mumm lives in the home and on the farmstead which Washington Roundy pioneered." (2)

"John A. and Malinda McIntosh and their family, all early church members, left Pottawattamie County in 1856 to become pioneers of Galland's Grove in Shelby County. There they heard of the Reorganization when Elders Blair and Briggs came into the area, and renewed their covenant by baptism on November 27, 1859, to become charter members of the branch. John again became an active minister of the gospel, being ordained a high priest October 8, 1869. In 1889, in his eightieth year and after many missions, he addressed the Saints at Galland's Grove concerning his past sixty-five years. He told of his lost confidence in the leadership of the church after the death of the Mary, when he became inactive, by saying: “I have been in th slough of despondency when I thought all was gone, yet I never thought that there was any other way; but I bear record that all the enjoyment I ever did have was in the work of the Master.” “Uncle John A” was a man of natural brilliance with strong convictions of right and wrong and the courage to express his thoughts. He served as branch president and district president of the Galland's Grove District. Late in life, he and Malinda moved to Denison, Crawford County. There he died August 8, 1897, at the age of ninety-three. Malinda died in 1914, survived by five of their children." (3)

"John Hawley joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in July 1837 at Ray County, Missouri, being baptized by William O. Clark. He moved to Nauvoo, Hancock , Illinois, with his parents during the exodus from Missouri . In 1843 he went with Lyman Wight and George Miller to the Wisconsin pineries to cut lumber for the Nauvoo Temple and the Nauvoo House. After the death of the Prophet Joseph Smith he migrated to Texas with Lyman Wight in 1845. He soon left the Wight colony and journeyed to Utah, where he resided for several years. In the 1860s he went on a mission to the " United States." During that mission he met family members who had joined the Reorganization. After returning to Utah he was baptized and ordained an elder in the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on 7 February 1870 (1868) by John Lawson. Soon after his baptism he moved back to Iowa and settled at Galland's Grove, Shelby County. He later moved to Missouri. He was a missionary for the Reorganization for many years. He died of pneumonia while attending General Conference at Lamoni, Decatur, Iowa. (4)
The map pictured below is from the 1895 Shelby County Atlas. Galland's Grove is not included on the map, however it would have been located near Manteno in the northwest corner of the county.

A brief section of the 1889 Shelby County History Book refers to Manteno:

"MANTENO. This is among the villages platted in 1859, the same having been filed for record April 19 of that year. It is situated on section 18, township 81, range 40, west, and in what is now known as Grove Township, and is two or three miles from the defunct village of Shelbyville. At one time it was quite a hamlet, but after the county seat was removed from Shelbyville to Harlan, and other towns took rank as trading points, Manteno declined. At present there is but little aside from a few shops, a general store and the postoffice, all of which are a great accommodation to the surrounding farming community, who find it too far to go to the railroad towns for the staple goods they may require." (5)

Shelby County Map

A history of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Galland's Grove area follows:

GALLAND'S GROVE BRANCH
"The Galland's Grove Branch was organized October 21, 1859, by Elders W. W. Blair and E. C. Briggs, with thirteen members: William Van Ausdale, Uriah Roundy, Rena Roundy, John A. McIntosh, Alexander McCord, Elizabeth Williamson, Alexander Hunt, Lewis Jackson, Elizabeth Thomas, and Alexander Black. William Van Ausdale was chosen as the first pastor.

William Van Ausdale had been an early member and was among those who experienced the pain and frustration during the apostasy of the Quorum of Twelve in Nauvoo. During the persecution of the Saints after the martyrdom, he kept his faith and waited for the renewal of the church, which he gladly accepted in 1859. He served faithfully as pastor, and was serving as a high priest at the time of his death January 1, 1869. William not only served the church, but he was the first County Judge in Shelby County . At that time the judge managed practically all the business of the county. He looked after the care and custody of all county property, audited all claims against the county, drew warrants on the county treasurer, audited and settled accounts of the treasurer, instituted and prosecuted suits for the benefit of the county, superintended the fiscal concerns of the county, and rented or provided all buildings and rooms for county offices.

"Alexander and Mary Hunt, charter members of the branch, were born in Roan County, North Carolina : Alexander March 9, 1792, and Mary May 15, 1795. Both had joined the early church in 1844 and were baptized by Daniel D. Hunt Kentucky. They immediately came to Nauvoo. The Hunts left Nauvoo in 1846 in the general exodus, but withdrew from the westward trek and made their home in various locations in Iowa. They settled in Galland's Grove in 1855. In 1860, under the ministry of Uriah Roundy, they were rebaptized into the Reorganization and Alexander was ordained an elder. In 1864 he was ordained a high priest. He was always an active member, ready to give his reasons and hope in the gospel, until his death November 21, 1873. Mary, blind the last thirteen years of her life, bore this affliction with Christian patience and was long remembered by the early missionaries for her kindness and hospitality. She died at the home of her son, John B. Hunt, at Galland's Grove.

"Oliver E. Holcomb, who served as pastor, was born at Ashtuabula , Ohio, February 21, 1841. When he was thirteen he moved with his parents to Galland's Grove. On December 25, 1873, he married Mary L. Hawley, and they became the parents of four children: roscoe (who died early); G. E. of Minneapolis ; L. L. of Dow City ; and Mrs. H. A. Cobb of Dunlap , Iowa. After Mary died, Oliver married Mrs. Lizzie Taylor of Independence , Missouri, in 1896. They made their home in Independence where Elder Holcomb died November 29, 1914, after serving the church as a faithful member. The funeral was held at Galland's Grove where he first served in the priesthood.

"William McCord, pioneer of Galland's Grove, was born July 27, 1842, in Hancock County, Illinois, and was baptized November 27, 1859, at the Grove. Here he married Ann Crandall January 6, 1861; Ann had lived at the Grove since she was six years old. They became the parents of four children: Will and Alec of Denison, Iowa ; Pat of Malvern, Iowa ; and Mrs. Mary Yeaman of Logan, Iowa . William was killed in a well-drilling accident January 24, 1891. Ann died January 16, 1930.

"Eli and Caroline Clothier : He was born February 4, 1833 in Welland County, Ontario, and migrated across Michigan to Crawford County in 1861. The same year, he and Caroline came to Galland's Grove. They purchased fifty acres of land in Grove Township . Eli cut the timber from the land and made fence rails for himself and his neighbors. He purchased his first cow with fence rails. In fact, fence rails were the common medium of exchange among the neighbors. After breaking the virgin soil, Eli planted his first corn patch with a hoe. He farmed this land for six years and hen disposed of it and bought fifty acres on the open prairie. On this land he built a rude log house where family lived for the next ten years, adding more acreage and improvements as time passed. Eli moved to Kansas in 1898, and later to Oregon, where he died October 31, 1915. A son, James, died October 2, 1881, near the parents' home. He was born in Williard County, Ontario , November 15, 1853, baptized in 1861 at the grove, and was survived by his wife and two children.

OTHER GALLAND'S GROVE PIONEERS
"Thomas and Mary Woodcock were old-time members of the early church. Thomas had been baptized in Lee County, Iowa, in 1842, and Mary in Ohio in 1833. Sometime after their marriage they became members of the Reorganization living at Galland's Grove, and were highly esteemed by their neighbors. Both faithfully served the church. Thomas died June 26, 1889, and Mary died January 2, 1898, at Galland's Grove.

"Joel Hall was among those who refused to follow Brigham Young to Utah and went to St. Louis instead. In 1852 he came to Council Bluffs and, in 1859 when Elders Briggs and Blair came to gather the scattered Saints, Joel knew the message rang true to his early teachings. He united with the Reorganization and moved to Cass Township in Shelby County . He was born December 15, 1799, in New Castle County, Delaware , and became a member of the early church in 1844. At his death September 1, 1882, at Galland's Grove, he was survived by his wife, a son, and a daughter.

"Mary Ann Jenkins, born in Marion, Indiana, October 16, 1828, became a member of the early church in 1842 at Kirtland, Ohio . After the disruption of the church at Nauvoo she went with her parents to Texas as part of the Lyman Wight Party (Part I). On returning to Iowa in 1860 Mary Ann was cheered by the news that a legally appointed successor had taken the martyr's place, and that the work begun by Joseph the Seer was being furthered by his son. She was baptized into the Reorganized Church October 7, 1860, at Galland's Grove. Mary Ann had been married and was now a widow, mother of three children (one dying in infancy in Texas ) when in 1865 she married Elder Ralph Jenkins, Sr. Ralph was born August 22, 1815, in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and was a member of the early church. Mary Ann died February 17, 1897, survived by her husband; one son, Elder R. H. Wight, living in Durango, Colorado ; and a daughter, Mrs. A. Crandall of Galland's Grove. Elder Jenkins died January 5, 1900.

"Alexander and Martha Black: When a boy of twelve, he became the youngest charter member of the Galland's Grove Branch. He was born September 29, 847, in Pottawattamie County, Iowa, the son of Malinda J Black and her first husband. Alexander came to Galland's Grove with his mother and stepfather. In August 1872, Alexander married Martha J. Roundy. She was born September 6, 1850, and was baptized in her early youth. They became the parents of fourteen children, and the entire family was a blessing to the community and church. Of Alexander it was said, 'His heart, his hand, and his house were always open to those who stood in need…neighbors sought his counsel with the utmost confidence in his judgement.' He became one of the ablest fruit growers in Shelby County, with particular interest in the growing of apples and pears. As early as 1877 he had a fine orchard. Martha died March 14, 1901. Alexander died June 5, 1914, survived by ten of his children. On January 30, 1860, after a hard horseback ride in the cold, Elder E. C. Briggs came to the home of John McIntosh at Galland's Grove. He found John reading the first edition of the Saints' Herald , specifically the letter regarding polygamy written by Isaac Sheen as published October 9, 1852, in the Cincinnati Commercial . McIntosh objected strongly to this letter. He asserted that it would be used by the enemies of the church against the true position of the Reorganization, because of its implications that Joseph was responsible for that accursed doctrine. McIntosh also objected to the wording, 'New Organization,' which could convey the idea that the Reorganization was not a continuation of the original gospel of 1830. He regretted that these errors were in the first Herald, but he was glad the church now had a periodical to report the current news. During Elder Briggs' visit, McIntosh spoke of many interesting incidents in his early church experiences, and of how the gift of the Holy Spirit was with him in all his ministry for those five years. The worst persecutions, he said, always came from the sectarian churches: 'There was nothing too low for them to report against us, and they sent their reports ahead of us to prepare the people so they would not come to hear the gospel, but we always got the ears of the thinking people.' As for Briggs, it helped him greatly to hear the old veteran recall his experiences as a young man in the work of God. Briggs wrote:
"If he had been in the dark during the great trial that came to the church in 1844, he has been an honorable man all the time, as attested by his neighbors, as they say, 'If Uncle John McIntosh has done wrong it has been to himself; he had never injured anyone else.'

"Patrick and Delilah Crandall: He was born November 22, 1810, in Seneca County, New York. He married Delilah Smith June 4, 1830, at Chagrin Falls, Ohio, and was baptized into the early church in 1831. Although he never united with the Reorganized Church, he retained his faith in Christ and the gospel as he first obeyed it. The family located in Galland's Grove in 1854, and Shelby County continued to be their home until his death September 4, 1894, at the home of his daughter, Ann McCord, near Defiance , Iowa. He was survived by his wife, his daughter, and two sons.

"Milton and Elizabeth Lynch : He was born of Latter Day Saint parents October 28, 1828, and as a boy lived with them in Far West, Missouri. Driven from Missouri , they followed the familiar path via Nauvoo to Council Bluffs. Here they, with other doubters, continued no farther. In 1852, at Council Bluffs , Milton married Elizabeth McCord, eldest daughter of Alexander McCord, and in the same year they came to Galland's Grove which became their permanent residence except for the time Milton served in the Civil War. Milton and Elizabeth united with the Reorganization, and he was ordained to the priesthood. He died in Galland's Grove April 12, 1898; his wife had preceded him in death about a year earlier. Both loved the church to such an extent that, on his death, their property of 200 acres, with good improvements, was given to the church.

"Chaucy S. Holcomb came to Iowa with his parents in 1854 and located at Galland's Grove. He was the youngest son of O. E. and Sally Holcomb, born August 10, 1844, in Ashtabula County, Ohio. He married Mary Menimento Wight September 17, 1867; they became the parents of seven children. Four years after he joined the Reorganized Church on October 14, 1860, at Galland's Grove, Chauncy was ordained a teacher. Mary died about 1896; three of her children preceded her in death. Chauncy resided with his sister, Mrs. Romanan Wight, and her husband, for a short time in Dow City . At the time of his death January 9, 1917, he was living with his son, Drayton, at Galland's Grove, where he had served as an active officer of the branch. He was survived by Drayton, Romanan, and two daughters, Mrs. John Durkee and Mrs. William Jenkins.

"Oliver E. Holcomb, branch pastor was born in Ashtabula, Ohio, February 21, 1841. December 25, 1873, he married Miss Mary L. Hawley. They became the parents of four children. At Mary's death the children were G. E. at Minneapolis , L. L. in Dow City and Mrs. H. A. Cobb at Dunlap , Iowa. In 1896 Oliver married Mrs. Lizzie Taylor of Independence , Missouri where he died November 29, 1914. The funeral was held at Galland's Grove where he first served in the priesthood.

"Lehi and Mattie Clothier: Son of Eli and Caroline Clothier, he was born in Grove Township in 1862 and received his education in Phillips County , Kansas, where he remained under the parental roof until 1888. At that time he purchased a farm in Phillips County where he lived for five years, returning finally to his old home in Shelby County . There, in 1894, he married Mattie Holcomb, daughter of Harmon Charlton Holcomb, and operated her farm of 235 acres, making it one of the most attractive farms of the township. The Clothiers became the parents of four children: Homer, Cecil L., Zeta G., and Wesley. They all became members of the Reorganized Church. Lehi and Mattie lived many years in their comfortable home, admired by all for their kindly dispositions. The Galland's Grove Saints held their religious meetings in a log building for more than twenty years. The chapel was of unhewn logs, built in the early fifties. It was roofed with split clapboards ripped from straight-grained logs cut in three- or four-foot lengths. The clapboards were held in place by poles lying across them lengthwise of the building and fastened at either end, since at that time they had nails. The old-time members delighted in telling of the pleasant memories and the spiritual blessings they had enjoyed within those humble walls.

"Jacob and Jane Crandall : He united with the early church in 1830, the year of its founding, and passed through the bitter experiences with the Saints in Missouri from 1832 to 1839. In Clay County he had married Jane Newberry December 5, 1833, and they became the parents of ten children. From Missouri they followed the familiar path to Illinois and, in 1847, across Iowa. They joined the Reorganized Church in 1876 at Galland's Grove. Jacob died at his home in Panoma , Iowa, September 3, 1892, at the age of ninety-one survived by his aged wife.

"Daniel and Parintha Crandall : He was born August 26, 1808, in New York, united with the early church, and was with the church in Missouri. His wife, Parintha, was born January 12, 1817, in Hartford County , Massachusetts, was baptized in 1831, and later united with the Reorganization. Daniel did not join the Reorganization but apparently always considered himself a member. He died at Galland's Grove October 26, 1833. Parintha died January 18, 1885.

"John B. and Mary Hunt : He became an active branch elder and served as pastor of the branch for a time. He was born November 26, 1832, in Barren County , Kentucky. He was baptized in 1844 by Daniel D. Hunt in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. At Galland's Grove he was rebaptized on January 20, 1861, into the Reorganization by W. W. Blair. He married Mrs. Mary E. Franklin February 1, 1877. (She was the widow of Thomas J. Franklin.) Mary was born October 31, 1833, near Lund, Sweden , emigrating to America in 1856. John died June 10, 1892, while serving as pastor of the Willow Valley Branch. He was mourned by many friends, as evidenced by a funeral procession of sixty nine teams and buggies wending their way to the Holcomb Cemetery . Mary died fifteen years later on October 27, 1907, at Harlan, Iowa .

"John B. and Irene Swain : An early pastor of the branch, he was born in Wayne County, Indiana, of Quaker parents. He married Irene Whitsinger in May 1847. She was born in Wayne County in 1831. To this union were born twelve children. In 1850 the Swain family came to Galland's Grove, where John and his wife heard the gospel as preached by Elders Briggs and Blair. They were baptized July 29, 1861. John was ordained an elder November 18, 1867, and became a zealous worker in the branch. Soon after his arrival at the grove John served on the first board of supervisors in Grove Township . The family later moved to Harlan, where John died February 7, 1897. His wife died July 19, 1918, at Seattle , Washington, at the home of a graddaughter, Mrs. L. L. Cunningham. Five of their children survived her.

"John P. Hawley, a veteran missionary in the early church, left Nauvoo with his family and went to Utah with Brigham Young. He became and active participant in missionary work among the Mormons. At one time Elder Hawley was sent back to Iowa to reclaim the Josephite Saints who had remained there or had gone to Utah and returned to Iowa. When Elder Hawley reached Council Bluffs, he took the train to Dunlap, Iowa , to visit his mother, Sarah Hawley, who he had not seen since 1856. He later said, “it was a pleasant visit, to meet my mother once more in the flesh, and to renew acquaintance with others of the family.” He found that most of the family had already joined the Josephites, and there was not much he could do to change their minds. On leaving his family, Elder Hawley went to Galland's Grove where he was given an opportunity to speak to the Saints in their log chapel. Here he became convinced that they had gone too far in their darkness, and that there was no redemption for them at the present. He was invited to the home of Uriah Roundy for a talk on religion. Neither of them could convert the other, but Hawley had to confess that Roundy made some good points. By another invitation he went to the home of Alexander McCord, where he found a table loaded with books. Their talks were about Joseph's right to the presidency. Here, Hawley lost a good many points, but still he would not give up. After Elder Hawley visited among the Saints at Magnolia and Little Sioux in Harrison County, he returned to Galland's Grove and attended a conference where Uncle Thomas Dobson was in charge. Hawley thought that “these Josephites were all very clever. They gave him Saturday night of their meeting to tell them what they should do to be saved, by the way of a warning voice.” At the dismissal of the meeting Charles Derry announced that on the next day he would speak on the difference between the two churches. After Hawley heard Derry's message and spoke himself, he said, “If a vote had been taken the Saints would have decided in Derry 's favor.” Still he would not give up; he felt that the Lord in time would feel for those people and they would emigrate to Utah. On leaving Iowa Hawley went to Naperville, Illinois , to the old homestead of his parents where his sister Caroline Scott lived. Here he found his sister and many of his other acquaintances already members of the Reorganized Church. So on July 28, 1868, Elder Hawley started back to his mountain home in Utah. He had not converted anyone, but he carried a Josephite Bible, the Inspired Translation of the Scriptures, in his satchel. After his return to Utah he was counseled to enter upon his exaltation by taking another wife, but he considered one wife enough. Other conditions arose that caused doubts to enter his mind since so many other things had been explained to him by the Josephites. He began to attend Reorganized Church services, visiting with the elders, studying the church books for evidences of their teachings, and he was evicted from the Utah church as an apostate. With the assistance of Elder E. C. Brand of the Reorganization, the Hawleys joined about thirty other families on a return eastward. When they reached Iowa , the Hawleys proceeded on to Galland's Grove, “the cradle of God-fearing, life-saving people,” as someone aptly wrote. They had at last found their rightful place where they remained the next forty years. Elder Hawley taught school, farmed, owned and interest in a sawmill, and was also an active minister of the gospel. John was born in Hancock County , Illinois, March 4, 1826, and married Sylvia Johnson October 22, 1848 in Fredricksburg , Texas. She was born May 27, 1832, in Wayne County, Michigan, and went with her family with Lyman Wight to Texas where she met John. She was baptized into the Reorganized Church October 22, 1871, by her husband at Galland's Grove. They had twelve children, four of whom had preceded him when he died at Lamoni, April 17, 1909, at the home of his son, Eber. At the time he was attending General Conference. After John's death Sylvia continued to live at Galland's Grove until 1901, when she moved to Holden, Missouri , with several of her children. She died there January 26, 1927.

"Alfred and Martha Jackson : Another pioneer pastor, he was born July 9, 1841, in Van Buren County, Iowa. He was seven when he came to Galland's Grove with his parents. He enlisted in the Civil War on October 3, 1860, and served until July 21, 1865. He had been baptized into the Reorganized Church three days after his enlistment and ordained an elder. He had also married Martha M. Holcomb a few weeks before his enlistment, on September 18, 1860. He not only served as pastor of the Galland's Grove Branch, but also at Dow City before his death June 10, 1922. His wife, Martha, died March 4, 1924, at the home of her son, A. L. Jackson, at Dow City. The surviving children were W. L. Jackson of Independence, Missouri ; F. L. Jackson of Dunlap, Iowa ; and F. F. Jackson of Dennison , Iowa.

"Robert Ford, an early-day pastor of Galland's Grove Branch, was born May 26, at Kingston , near Canterbury, England. He came to America in 1863 and crossed the plains to Utah where he remained for several years. In 1870 he settled in Palo Alto County , Iowa, on a homestead, and united with the Reorganized Church in 1883. After leaving Galland's Grove he moved to Missouri, where he lived with a brother near Odessa . He died there August 24, 1919.

"George and Mary Greenwood were Galland's Grove pioneers. He was born October 22, 1832, at Preston, Lancanshire, England. On November 25, 1840, he joined the early church. He married Mar Knowles February 17, 1855, and in that same year they emigrated to America and Utah. On May 16, 1870, they were baptized into the Reorganized Church at Ogden, Utah . Soon afterward they were in Galland's Grove where they lived their remaining years. Mary died in 1904, and George died July 17, 1909, at the home of his son, Joseph.

"Cynthia Perry was born October 10, 1811, in Onondago County, New York, and was baptized into the early church in June 1837 in Toronto, Canada . She went to Utah . There she united with the Reorganization and moved to Galland's Grove. There she lived with her grandson, Richard Yeamans, in Grove Township where she died January 20, 1892.

Galland's Grove RLDS ChurchGALLAND'S GROVE DISTRICT
"The Galland's Grove District was organized by the General Conference, October 6, 1863. John A. McIntosh was chosen president, and presided at the first conference of the new district held in the log church house. Oliver E. Newcomb, Sr., and Nathan Lindsey acted as clerks.
"Seven counties comprised the district at the time of its organization but it later comprised twenty-one: Shelby, Crawford, Carroll, Greene, Guthrie, Audubon, Humbolt, Pochontas, Sac, Ida, O'Brien, Emmet, Osceola, and Kossuth. For the general good of the district two to four conferences were held each year; and these were blessed with true missionary zeal which encouraged several of the 'farmer preachers' to devote part of their time to traveling and preaching, going without purse or scrip in order to present the gospel message.
"District presidents who succeeded John McIntosh were Thomas Dobson, Alexander McCord, Eli Clothier, Jonas W. Chatburn, Worden W. Whiting, Charles E. Butterworth, James M. Baker, David M. Rudd, James C. Crabb, and Orman Salisbury. As mentioned, the first district bishop was John Pett who served from 1873 to 1897, when he was succeeded by Charles J. Hunt, who was ordained in the year 1900.

TITHING AND OFFERING GATHERED
"In 1873 Elder John Pett was appointed the first bishop's agent of the Galland's Grove District to gather tithings and offerings. The Saints were few in numbers and busy building homes and preparing the virgin soil for crops. But the true spirit burned in their hearts as they gave of the fruits of their fields and their herds to supply the needs of the church, missionary families, and the worthy poor.
"The first money paid into the district treasury as tithing was one dollar contributed by John Chapman of the Salem Branch in Shelby County, May 24, 1874. The total receipts to the district for the year were $109.15. The next year, 1875, seemed to have been a lean year, as the total receipts were only $17.50. From this time progress was made in the gathering of church funds. The membership was growing and the territory was expanding. The missionaries and the financial agent began to teach the law of tithing, and the offerings increased.
"District records show that, in 1876, Mary A. Jenkins of Galland's Grove Branch was the first to comply with the law of surplus, favoring the treasury with $35. Elder John Hawley paid the first $100 on September 26, 1878. In 1899, Manly W. Hartshorn of Marathon was the first to give the church $500 in one payment. But the smallest tithe ever received in the district was four pennies paid February 18, 1900, by Louisa Ellen, seven-year-old-daughter of Brother and Sister Frederick N. Shaw. She had earned forty cents, and gave to the church her one-tenth.
"In 1898 Katherine Butler finished paying her tithing by deeding to the church town property valued as tithing. The receipts of 1902 show the largest tithe offering as real estate valued at $1,400, the gift of Brother and Sister Ichabod McCord. The David Halls of the Salem Branch paid tithing annually from 1878 to 1909—thirty-one year—contributing a total of $6,449.37 to the Master's work.

"John and Mary Ann Pett: He was born in Eddingbury, England, December 27, 1824. His wife, Mary Ann, as born in Oxfordshire, England, September 14, 1845, where Mary Ann was baptized into the old church organization in 1849. They journeyed to Utah in 1853 and, while living near Salt Lake City, were baptized into the Reorganized Church September 9, 1863, by E. C. Briggs. The family came to Iowa in 1864, locating in Shelby County and afterward in Crawford County . Here Mrs. Pett died July 11, 1892, at her home in Dow City . Elder John Pett died September 11, 1913, after serving the church for fifty years. He was survived by six sons and four daughters.

"David C. and Mary Ellen Crandall : He was born in Clay County, Missouri, April 15, 1835, came with his parents in 1852 to Galland's Grove where he was baptized into the Reorganized Church . He married Mary Ellen Harding of Ames , Iowa, April 12, 1865. She was born October 3, 1849, in Indiana , and baptized August 12, 1877. They became the parents of ten children. When David died August 22, 1911, three children had preceded him in death. Mary Ellen died March 25, 1917. Burial was in the Holcomb Cemetery .

"James and Harriet Pearsall : He was born October 22, 1842, at Brandwell, Buckinghamshire , England, and married Harriet Spillet in 1870. They emigrated to America and made their home in Texas until 1880 when they moved to Galland's Grove where they lived thirty-three years. James served in various capacities in the branch. At Harriet's death in 1916 their surviving children were Mrs. Annie E. Gunsolley, California ; Joseph H., Nebraska City ; and Fred W., James E., George A., Mrs. Nellie Justice, and Mrs. Margaret Hoeffer all of Dow City. James died at the home of his son, Mark, December 28, 1919." (6)

The following excerpt comes from the 1975 Shelby County History Book:

"This is a branch of the Galland's Grove Conference, and was organized October 21, 1859, by Elder E. C. Briggs and Elder William Blair. The names of the members comprising the organization were as follows: William Vanausdall, Uriah Roundy, Rena Roundy, John A. McIntosh, Melinda McIntosh, Alexander McCord, Sybil McCord, Elizabeth J. Williamson, Alexander Hunt, Mary Hunt, Lewis Jackson, Elizabeth Thomas and Alexander Black. The first presiding elder was William Vanausdall, and was succeeded as follows: John B. Hunt, Benjamin Crandall, Robert Ford, Ingaert Hansen, Ralph Jenkins, Absalom Huykendall, Eli Clothier, Milton Lynch, John A. McIntosh, John Hawley and Alfred Jackson.
"In 1880 the membership was 276.
"In 1880 the society commenced the erection of a neat edifice, which was finished in 1881, at a cost of $1,300. At first their services were held at private houses, later in a log school-house which was accidentally burned, when they built a log church which served until the new church was built.
"When the timber land and choice locations in and about Galland's Grove were taken up, the next settlers had to go to the next best locations and select lands. Such settlement was made at Bowman's Grove, in the center of the county, and soon the county seat matter, with talk of having it removed from Shelbyville to Harlan or Simoda, caused a good many to flock to these places and secure farms and town-site property. In 1860, according to the United States census reports, Shelby County contained a population of 820 people, about equally divided between the two townships then organized--'Galland's Grove' and 'Round.' Up to this date five villages had been platted, viz.: Shelbyville, Itan, Manteno, Simoda and Harlan." (7)

Cemeteries:
Link to the Galland's Grove Cemetery: http://iagenweb.org/shelby/cemetery/gallands_grove_cemetery.htm
Link to Manteno Cemetery (Grove Township Cemetery): http://iagenweb.org/harrison/cemetery/manteno.htm


Notes:

  1. Pearl Wilcox, Roots of the Reorganized Latter Day Saints in Southern Iowa.
  2. Dennis Walsh and John Schulte, Shelby County Iowa Family History, 1997-2004.
  3. Pearl Wilcox, Roots of the Reorganized Latter Day Saints in Southern Iowa
  4. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=29540801
  5. 1889 Shelby County History Book
  6. Pearl Wilcox, Roots of the Reorganized Latter Day Saints in Southern Iowa.
  7. 1889 Shelby County History Book

Return to Map


Shelbyville

Shelbyville Map

Location

Found in the “Northeast quarter of Section 27, Township 81, Range 40, Grove Township.”  As reported by Marshall Turly, of Council Bluffs City, J. F. Vails, of Crawford County, and Lorenzo Butler, of Harrison County, Shelbyville "was across the road west a short distance from the well known residence of F. J. McNaughton, one of the prominent pioneers of Shelby County."  (1)

History

Shelbyville was organized by Mormon dissenters on 21 December 1853. (2, 3)  It was the first town organized in Shelby County. (4)  The settlement was officially platted 5 February 1855. (5)  Shelbyville was the county seat after a proposal from a committee of L.D. Butler, John E. F. Vails and Marshall Turley. (6)  The court voted in favor of this proposal and was attended by William Vnausdall (judge); Andrew Foutz (sheriff); Vinsan G. Perkins (clerk); Alxander McCord (recorder and treasurer); and James Ward (prosecuting attorney). (7)  A court house was to be erected and in 1859 a vote was cast for the location.  Shelbyville was outvoted by nine votes, moving the county seat and new court house to Harlan. (8)  The town thrived for a meager 6 years but when the political power moved, the homes and businesses were destroyed or relocated.  Now there is no evidence of the old settlement. (9)

There is a monument erected at Shelbyville just 4.5 miles north of Panama and 3.5 miles west of Earling.  It is in the south east part of Grove Township. (10)

Ron Chamberlain, local historian, believes Shelbyville to be named by Horace A. Tarkington.  Tarkington brought the name with him from Kentucky where there is a Shelbyville.  Tarkington was the first Methodist minister and chief Judge. (11)

A Tale of Shelbyville
“It is related that several years ago a settler, in going from Audubon County to Shelbyville, got lost on the prairie; that in wandering about he accidentally crossed a ravine at a point where a vein of coal was laid bare by the action of the waters of the brook which ran by; that he picked up a specimen of the coal and carried it with him till he reached the settlement, where he showed it to parties who immediately started in search of the “valuable land,” taking with them the original “wander” as a guide.  The exact spot where the treasure lay had not been marked, and the exploring party, after a diligent search, was obliged to return without any coal in their pockets! “(12)

A post office was built in February 21, 1854 and was in business until August 21, 1862. (13)  It was located at “latitude 41.7910989 and longitude 95.4808349” or “sec27, T81N, R40W, Fifth Principal Mer.”(14, 15)

Cemeteries

The Doyle cemetery is located 1.25 miles west of the monument for Shelbyville.  It is found at latitude 41.8013768 and longitude -95.5086132

map
(16)

This table gives information all known graves in the Doyle cemetery.

Date of Death Age at Death
KELLEY, Adam 5/17/1879 48yrs/2mos/2days
KELLEY, Frances M. 8/27/1882 19yrs/2mos/28days
KELLEY, George 5/30/1887
ROUNDY, Zebedee 2/29/1855 21yrs/10days
ROUNDY, Uriah 10/2/1869 72yrs
ROUNDY, Rena (Uriah) 11/2/1880 70yrs
ROUNDY, Asahel 6/6/1878 49yrs/8mos/20days
ROUNDY, Alma E.
(Daughter of Asahel and Sara Roundy)
1/10/1880 7yrs/2mos/24days
JACKSON, Andrew 7/13/1872 22yrs/26days
JACKSON, Lafayette
(Son of Lewis and Margaret (Crandall) Jackson)
3/2/1868 23yrs/6mos/4days
JACKSON, Margaret (Crandall)
(Wife of John)
1/27/1856 40yrs
CRANDALL, Magdalene (Wood) 1858? (88yrs 1856 census)
BRISTOL, ?
(Daughter of Ed and R. Bristol)
1855 21yrs/9mos
STRONG, Hannah C. (Kemp)
(Wife of Reuben W.)
1864 38yrs
PALMER, Katherine G.
(Wife of J.M.)
3/24/1871 56yrs/8mos
PRATT, Ona L.
(Children of Thurman Dursic and K.)
10/27/1876 3yrs/7mos/12days
PRATT, Girty M.
(Children of Thurman Dursic and K.)
3/17/1877 9mos/25days
MCNAUGHTON, ?
(Daughter of F.J.)
7/11/1880 Infant
MCDONALD, Amanda 4/8/1883 43yrs/11mos/19days
MCDONALD, G.W. 4/30/1893 52yrs/8mos/21days

(17)


Notes:

  1. Benjamin F. Gue, History of Iowa, vol. 1, From the Earliest Times to the Beginning of the Twentieth Century (New York: The Century History Company, 1903), 410.
  2. Ibid.
  3. A. T. Andreas. Illustrated Historical Atlas of the State of Iowa, 1875 “History: Shelby Co., IA”. http://files.usgwarchives.net/ia/shelby/history/shelby.txt. (accessed Sept, 1 2009).
  4. Ibid.
  5. Shelby County, Iowa. “Shelby County and its Courthouses”. http://www.shco.org/AboutUs/HistoryOverview.aspx. (accessed April 9, 2015).
  6. Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon Counties, Iowa (Chicago:W.S. Dunbar & Co. 1889), 245.
  7. Benjamin F. Gue, History of Iowa: From the Earliest Times to the Beginning of the Twentieth Century.
  8. “Shelby County” ISAC. http://iagenweb.org/shelby/history/history.htm. (accessed April 9, 2015).
  9. Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon Counties, Iowa, 259.
  10. Ron Chamberlain, phone interview, by Rachel Briggs, October 5, 2009.
  11. ibid
  12. A. T. Andreas, “History: Shelby Co., IA”.
  13.  “Feature Detail Report for: Shelbyville Post Office (historical)”. http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=gnispq:3:3925720409708238::NO::P3_FID:1982539 (accessed October 20, 2009).
  14. “Shelbyville Post Office (historical) Shelby County.” http://iowa.hometownlocator.com/maps/bigmap,n,shelbyville%20post%20office%20(historical),fid,1982539.cfm#. (accessed October 20, 2009).
  15. “Feature Detail Report for: Shelbyville Post Office (historical)”.
  16. “IA Home Town Locator.” http://iowa.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,2,fid,1982656,n,doyle%20cemetery.cfm (accessed November 24, 2009).
  17. “Doyle Cemetery List, Earling, Shelby County, Iowa.” Created November 29, 1998 http://files.usgwarchives.net/ia/shelby/cemeteries/doylecem.txt. (accessed November 24, 2009).

List of community residents forthcoming


Return to Map